When you separate from your spouse, your life will dramatically change and, regardless of how amicable or necessary the decision was, coping with the aftermath might not be easy. It is important to remember that, while things seem tough now, you will be able to get through this difficult situation with the right coping tools.
Here are some tips that can assist you through this experience:
- It is okay to have a mixture of feelings: if you are on a roller coaster of conflicting emotions, guess what? That is perfectly normal and natural. There is nothing wrong with feeling sad, confused, angry, excited, exhausted, or any other combination of emotions. They will likely lessen as time passes and you begin to move forward and embark on this new chapter in your life.
- Cut yourself some slack: Enduring a legal separation is an emotionally exhausting process, so give yourself a break. If you are not as productive on the job as you usually are, or are not caring for others as you once did, remember that this is just a temporary glitch. Once you have taken enough time to heal, you will feel re-energized and more like yourself again.
- Ask for help when you need it: There is no need for you to go through this alone. Share your feelings with your close friends and family, or consider joining a support group to talk to others in a similar situation. If you isolate yourself, this can raise your stress levels, interfere with your ability to perform your job, and harm your relationships and overall health. Having the courage to ask for help is often the strongest thing a person can do.
- Take care of yourself: Now is the time to be particularly good to yourself, so take the time to exercise, eat well, and get the rest you need. Having a healthy body is crucial to your overall wellbeing and confidence, so try not to slip into any bad habits that might compromise your health. Do not use alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs as a way to cope since they will only further harm you.
- Explore your interests: Reconnect with yourself and explore the things you enjoy doing on your own. Perhaps there are hobbies you once loved when you were single, but gave up after you married your spouse. Take this time to find out what makes you happy, invest in hobbies, and make new friends.
Divorce is not a walk in the park, but with the right mindset, you will achieve the happiness and fresh start you deserve.
Orange County Divorce Mediation Services
At Alternative Divorce Solutions, our process and attention to detail set our firm apart. Our team is like a family and we work together closely to ensure our clients receive the highest level of customer service.
Contact our office today at 949-368-2121 to schedule a free consultation.