Sometimes, marriages don’t work out as they should never have happened in the first place. This calls for the ending of the union, which traditionally occurs through divorce. However, in unique circumstances, an annulment is the preferred alternative to divorce, as the specific conditions require the marriage be erased from all previous records. An annulment determines the marriage essentially never took place as it was never valid, which is far more permanent and serious–anyone who wants a divorce can get one, but not everyone who wants an annulment can do the same.
The following are the circumstances under which you can get an annulment, including but not limited to:
- You and your spouse are proven to be related by blood
- Either party was already married to another individual, making this a 2nd marriage at the same time (bigamy)
- Either party was under 18 at the time of marriage
- Either party is suffering from an incurable physical incapacity, such as impotence
- The marriage occurred under duress
- Either party is of unsound mind, including intoxication, at the time of marriage
- Fraud was perpetrated as part of the marriage, such as in an attempt to become a United States citizen by marrying one
Contact Our Trusted Orange County Divorce Lawyer
Our divorce mediation firm, Alternative Divorce Solutions, seeks to take the difficulty out of a marriage ending. This is why, regardless of your particular situation, our team wants to offer you an easier and more successful alternative to traditional divorce. Before you enlist the services of an Orange County divorce attorney who won’t listen to your concerns and address your needs fully, consider us first.
If you are interested in scheduling an initial consultation with a member of our team, please don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 949-368-2121.